Before I pick the each Quotable Nerdy Chick to highlight, I usually research a couple of different amazing women. Then I look at what each had to say. Are their words timeless? Do they contain a message that speaks to success? This week I picked someone whose hard work has garnered her impressive recognition. In 2001 she was ranked the second most powerful woman in America by Ladies’ Home Journal. She was listed as 36th most powerful woman in the world by Forbes in 2004 and 2005. And she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2009 by President Barak Obama.
Everyone knows that Sandra Day O’Connor was the first female member of the United States Supreme Court, but do we really know how she landed such a prestigious position? After reading more about her, I think I do. She became the first female justice not only because she was intelligent, but also because she had an outstanding work ethic. I’m a firm believer in the idea that the path to success is paved with a lot of hard work. When you read the quotes below, you’ll know that Sandra Day O’Conner believes this too.
Sandra Day O’Connor Quotes
- Do the best you can in every task, no matter how unimportant it may seem at the time. No one learns more about a problem than the person at the bottom.
- We don’t accomplish anything in this world alone… and whatever happens is the result of the whole tapestry of one’s life and all the weavings of individual threads form one to another that creates something.
- Each of us brings to our job, whatever it is, our lifetime of experience and our values.
- I don’t know that there are any short cuts to doing a good job.
- The power I exert on the court depends on the power of my arguments, not on my gender.
This week, I think my favorite quote is the second one. How nice to see that someone who has risen so far, acknowledges that we all need help. To see a compiled list of nerdy chick quotes, click HERE.