Mae Carol Jemison (b. 1956) became the first African American woman to travel into space when she went in to orbit on the Space Shuttle Endeavour on September 12, 1992. She has also done many other amazing things. She served in the Peace Corps, she holds nine honorary doctorates, is trained in dance and choreography, and is fluent in Russian, Japanese, and Swahili. The most nerdy among you might be interested to know that she has acted in an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation!
There is much more to learn about this smart and adventurous woman. You can find out more about her HERE.
Mae Jemison Quotes
• The thing that I have done throughout my life is to do the best job that I can and to be me.
• Don’t let anyone rob you of your imagination, your creativity, or your curiosity. It’s your place in the world; it’s your life. Go on and do all you can with it, and make it the life you want to live.
• It is important for scientists to be aware of what our discoveries mean, socially and politically. It’s a noble goal that science should be apolitical, acultural, and asocial, but it can’t be, because it’s done by people who are all those things.
• Science is very important to me, but I also like to stress that you have to be well-rounded. One’s love for science doesn’t get rid of all the other areas. I truly feel someone interested in science is interested in understanding what’s going on in the world. That means you have to find out about social science, art, and politics.
• Never be limited by other people’s limited imaginations…If you adopt their attitudes, then the possibility won’t exist because you’ll have already shut it out … You can hear other people’s wisdom, but you’ve got to re-evaluate the world for yourself.
There are times when I get an idea for notable quotable female and when I look her up, I am disappointed by a lot of what she has to say. But this week’s Quotable Nerdy Chick was easy because once I thought of highlighting Mae Jemison, I found that I liked everything I read about her!
To see a compiled list of Nerdy Chick Quotes (only one quote per chick) chick HERE.
I love this quote by Mae:
“Never be limited by other people’s limited imaginations…If you adopt their attitudes, then the possibility won’t exist because you’ll have already shut it out … You can hear other people’s wisdom, but you’ve got to re-evaluate the world for yourself.”
I’m always asking the question: Do you believe that because someone told you or because its yours own experience and conviction. Sure we need the wisdom of our elders and those we trust, but the bottom line at the end of your life, did your live your own or someone elses?
Your question is great, just as well asked as Mae Jemison’s quote is said! I also think it is important to learn from the past, but to make our own decisions moving forward!