I’m so glad I was reintroduced to the work of Maya Lin through my son who studied her recently in school. If you don’t already know this, Lin designed the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall in Washington D. C. while she was still an undergraduate student. When I was in college, one of my friends was among the first to visit that memorial. She found the name of another friend’s father on the memorial and brought back a framed pencil rubbing of it. I will never forget how touched my friend, whose father was killed before she could meet him, was by that gift. The Vietnam Memorial has touched countless others since its installation.
Lin has designed other amazing structures and done other amazing things. You can read more about them at her own beautifully designed website. www.mayalin.com She currently owns and operates Maya Lin Studio in New York City.
Maya Lin Quotes
- I loved school. I studied like crazy. I was a Class A nerd.
- I was always making things. Even though art was what I did every day, it didn’t even occur to me that I would be an artist.
- I try to give people a different way of looking at their surroundings. That’s art to me.
- All my work is much more peaceful than I am.
- To fly we have to have resistance.
- How we are using up our home, how we are living and polluting the planet is frightening. It was evident when I was a child. It’s more evident now.
Now. Go visit her website. Move your cursor to make things happen!