Novelist. Playwright. Journalist. Director. Screenwriter. Producer. It might be easier to list all the things that Nora Ephron had not done as the list above is nowhere near complete. Nora had a way of writing about people and relationships that was deep and humorous, touching and laugh-inducing.
A New York Times book reviewer once wrote, “She’s like Benjamin Franklin or Shakespeare: her words are now part of the fabric of the English language.” So when I was looking for my first Quotable Nerdy Chick, I was immediately drawn to Nora.
Quotes from Nora Ephron:
- Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women.
- My mother wanted us to understand that the tragedies of your life one day have the potential to be comic stories the next.
- Insane people are always sure that they are fine. It is only the sane people who are willing to admit that they are crazy.
- I try to write parts for women that are as complicated and interesting as women actually are.
- Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.