This was one of those rare weeks when I thought of a great smart woman to feature, looked up the things she said, and violia my work was done. Because who couldn’t use a hardy helping of Julia Child? So clever, so witty, such an artist. If you saw the movie Julie & Julia, or if you were a fan of her show, you’ll know what I mean. Below is just a taste of some of the wonderful things she said.
Julia Child Quotes
• Always start out with a larger pot than what you think you need.
• If you’re in a good profession, it’s hard to get bored, because you’re never finished-there will always be work you haven’t done.
• The measure of achievement is not winning awards. It’s doing something that you appreciate, something you believe is worthwhile. I think of my strawberry souffle. I did that at least twenty-eight times before I finally conquered it.
• Moderation. Small helpings. Sample a little bit of everything. These are the secrets of happiness and good health.
• Everything in moderation, including moderation.
• Dining with one’s friends and beloved family is certainly one of life’s primal and most innocent delights, one that is both soul-satisfying and eternal.
• You find yourself refreshed by the presence of cheerful people. Why not make an honest effort to confer that pleasure on others? Half the battle is gained if you never allow yourself to say anything gloomy.
• It’s so beautifully arranged on the plate — you know someone’s fingers have been all over it.
• I think every woman should have a blowtorch.
• Life itself is the proper binge.