I was led to Juliette Gordon Low when trying to highlight someone famous who had something in common with this week’s interviewee, Lisa Day Long. When Juliette Gordon Low’s name came up in a Google search of famous women from Georgia, I had a classic head-smack moment. Not only do we have we had three generations of Girl Scouts in my family, but have I visited her beautiful and fascinating home in Savannah, Georgia. Additionally, this year marks the 100th anniversary of the Girl Scouts! You can find out much more about this leader and champion of girls at the Girl Scout website HERE.
Juliette Gordon Low Quotes
- The work of today is the history of tomorrow, and we are its makers.
- My purpose… to go on with my heart and soul, devoting all my energies to Girl Scouts, and heart and hand with them, we will make our lives and the lives of the future girls happy.
- Right is right, even if no one else does it.
- Scouting rises within you and inspires you to put forth your best.
- To put yourself in another’s place requires real imagination, but by doing so each Girl Scout will be able to love among others happily.
- We must accept the fact that transport and communications will bring the world in close relations and the youth of the world should have standards and ideals in common.
- Ours is a circle of friendships united by ideals.
If you ever make it down to Savannah, I highly recommend a visit to Juliette Gordon Low’s home, especially if you’re a bit of a history buff. I came away from the tour inspired!
The portrait of Low above was painted by Edward Hughes. It hangs in the National Portrait Gallery and is in the public domain because the copyright has expired.